Monday 31 October 2011

Project 6 - framing the view differently

Having decided to use a different location for my '4 seasons' images it gave me the opportunity to re-examine the original images as I had used a range of different views in that initial project.





These first 4 images use a fountain as the focal point of the image. Two are the same shot and all that I have done is turn the camera from landscape to portrait. As can be seen they offer quite different images with the portrait version being more concentrated and leading the eye of the viewer to the building in the far distance. The third shot retains some sense of the positioning of the lake whilst the fourth is a more crowded image offering few clues as to the overall context



The next two are of the same footpath and again I have simply changed the orientation of the camera. In the landscape version the footpath forms a relatively small part of the image whilst additional information is provided by the path that comes in from the left drawing the viewer's eye towards the path that continues into the distance adding another point of interest. In the second image the path is the dominant feature again leading the eye into the image.



Although these two images are in a different orientation in the second one I have drawn back the lens to include more of the footpath in the foreground and to include more of the trees to show their height.



I have included this last pair as they were clearly taken at different times with the portrait one having the benefit of sunlight with accompanying shadows. Here the landscape has not been 'changed' by me moving my position but by the change in the light falling on the scene. On the day that this was taken there was a mix of bright blue sky and the occasional large cloud. Whilst sub-consciously aware of the difference the light made it is only when I viewed these two images that I realised the obvious fact that the biggest change that occurs in a landscape is the different light.  Obvious when stated but sometimes it is easy to forget.

I learnt a lot from this exercise particularly the almost infinite number of different images that can be captured form the one landscape both by taking advantage of the light and the changes it goes through but also by shifting my position and/or the orientation of the camera. Sometimes it takes someone to point out the blindingly obvious before we realise the opportunities that are afforded.



No comments:

Post a Comment