Tuesday 25 October 2011

Project 3 - Panorama

I declined to cover my camera with black tape as this seemed, in this day and age, an odd way to create a panorama shot. I mounted the camera on a tripod and took a series of photographs (8 in all) through an arc of approximately 270 degrees at round about 35 degree shifts thus ensuring plenty of overlap between the images. I then downloaded the images into Camera Raw and adjusted one of the images and then applied the same changes to all the others. I then transferred the images to Photoshop using Photomerge. I then cropped the image and filled any remaining blank spaces in the sky and foreground with Fill - Content Aware. The result was:


The original size of the image was approx 74 ins in width so I reduced it by using 'Save for Web and Devices' so that I could place it in this Blog. 

The ease of taking panoramic shots, including being able to hand hold the camera has improved dramatically and whilst I use Photoshop CS5 there is other software available that does an equally good job.

As the Course material states panorama shots are better the larger they are because the amount of information and the chance for the viewer to 'enter' the image is increased by the larger image. As is the case with the image above the information is squashed so that it is difficult to get a sense of scale and the distances between individual objects For example the white blob in the middle of the image on the cliff top to the left of the black vehicle is a very large caravan park. In a larger image the individual vans can be distinguished and I found myself looking for obvious signs of use.

Purely as an aside the black vehicle was moving down the roadway as I was taking the shots and I managed to capture it in three separate images. I was somewhat relieved that the software was powerful enough to include it only the once.



1 comment:

  1. Your blog is interesting, has left a great impression.
    Best wishes
    Jonas

    ReplyDelete