Tuesday 31 July 2012

Project 41 - Grain

I do not shoot film nor do I have a film camera. Grain is usually described as 'noise' in digital photography and generally is seen as undesirable but not in all cases. The suppression of noise is part of the algorithms in the camera that I use (Canon 5D Mk II) and I have successfully taken images at equivalent ISO's of 1600 and in ideal conditions 2500. I normally shoot at ISO 400 although if doing street photography I can use an ISO of 1600 without obvious signs of noise. At the extreme limits (ISO 25000) normal viewing is not noticeably noisy but when zooming in to shadow areas there are usually problems with colour noise.

I use Lightroom 4 and Adobe Photoshop CS6 to enhance images and both, but particularly Lightroom, have noise suppression algorithms that work extremely well. In CS6 there is a filter that will add noise where it is seen to be desirable. I also use Silver Efex Pro 2 to create monochrome images where I feel noise can be added to good effect and the programme offers a range of opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment