Thursday 5 April 2012

Robert Adams

Again on the advice of my tutor I have spent some time looking at the photographs of Robert Adams. I found that I was more in sympathy with his style. Although there is a simplicity about his style of landscape photography I was still left with the feeling that he had applied most of the 'rules' about photography that we, as amateurs, so slavishly follow. There is evidence that some thought has been given to the composition and the overall impact of the image. There is a message that is discernible particularly when several linked images are seen one after the other. There is also a sense of the photographer wanting to present the best image that he can achieve from the view in front of him.

His use of light, including artificial light such as that given by street lamps, is shown at its best in his twilight series that is held by the V&A Museum. (http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/p/photographs-by-robert-adams/.) I particularly liked this set of images that evoked in me a wish to see further into the image (what is beyond what is shown!).

I preferred this style to the starker imagery of Aarmson as discussed in my last blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment