Wednesday 8 February 2012

Project 25 - Snow

Although it was a clear day there was an overcast sky so very little variation in the light. However i decided to take the shots anyway because it was a valuable learning experience plus I needed some winter shots for the portfolio images.

As suggested I set exposure compensation at +1.5. Interestingly when developing the RAW images and using 'Auto' exposure to establish a starting point almost without exception the result was between -1.2 and -1.5 suggesting the exposure compensation was not necessary. Certainly I had to make few changes to the exposure settings. I found that the snow had a slight blue tinge that was noticeable on close examination. I altered this by reducing the saturation of the blues using Lightroom. It seemed to work successfully.

The following are examples of the images taken:







I took many more but will be using those for the winter shots for both Assignment 1 and Project 15 portfolio work.

As I said above it was an overcast day but two days later the sun shone so I include two additional shots showing the effect of sunlight. and shadows.





In the first of these two there is a bluish tinge in the shadows that is not unattractive.

As stated in the Course material the chances of snow in this Country particularly in East Anglia is small. The lessons learnt from this exercise (apart from how tiring it is trudging through 4 inches of fresh snow carrying a tripod and camera) were the delights of such photography and the sculpting effect of snow fall
on trees and shrubbery. In technical terms the advice on exposure compensation has to be approached with some caution although why this is the case is less clear to me. Fortunately I invariably shoot RAW so I have opportunity to adjust the exposure later. Although on the day the lack of sunshine made the exploration of the effect of varying light not possible in the main I was able to do so later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment