Tuesday 7 August 2012

Project 30 Wide-angle views - near and far


The first image was taken hand-held sitting on the ground and steadying the camera on my thighs. I followed this up by placing the camera on a convenient flat rock immediately in front of me and shooting in the usual way (manual pressure on the button).



I left the camera on the same rock but this time used a wireless remote control to avoid any possible 'shake'. I got the following image:


All three shots were taken within a short space of time and there was little if any change in the light. Close examination of the three images shows little variation in the 'sharpness' although this probably has a lot to do with the stabilising feature in  the lens (Tamron 28 - 300). Without this facility it would have been necessary to either use a 'gorilla' tripod or something like a bean bag to provide stability and certainly the remote control would have been essential.

For the next couple of pictures I turned to my left to obtain a different view. I achieved the following results:



The first of these two images was taken standing up which produced the limited view of the loch side. In the second the camera is placed on a convenient rock and the remote control used.

General

Having done the exercise the results seem obvious but it reminded me that taking photographs standing up limits the variety of shots available. Certainly I personally find the second of the two images immediately above more satisfying than the first. I was fortunate to have conveniently placed flat rocks upon which I could place the camera otherwise the results would have been difficult to obtain. I had not taken my 'gorilla' pod which shows a lack of forward planning and I hadn't taken a jacket that I could have used as a makeshift bean bag. The latter 'decision' was a mistake because the other thing I learned was that the many tales about Scottish midges are decidedly true!

In order to get the view I was aiming for I used 'live view' although in all honesty I was largely relying upon educated guesswork on what the likely results would be.



No comments:

Post a Comment